There is harldy any better news for a student than to learn that they will receive a day off from school. The students of the Jackson Parish School District will get to do just on after the School Board voted to revise the 2022-23 school year calendar at their regularly scheduled monthly meeting held on Monday, August 1st, at the JPSB Central Office.
The revision to make Election Day, which falls on November 8th, a scheduled day off is the only revision to the school calendar that was origionally adopted on March 14th. According to JPSD Superintendent David Claxton, the date is mandated by the Louisiana Department of Education as a state holiday.
“Election Day, is considered a state holiday for the years that begin with an even number,” said Claxton. “When we first adopted the school calendar we didn’t include this so it was necessary to make the revision.”
Jackson Parish School District Important Dates
New Teacher Orientation August 11, 2022
Professional Development August 12, 15-16, 2022
First Day for Students August 17, 2022
Parent Teacher Conference October 21, 2022 (Conferences will be held Oct. 20 3:00-8:00 p.m.)
Professional Development January 13, 2023
Seniors Last Day May 9, 2023
Students Last Day May 22, 2023
Teacher Work Day May 23, 2023
Labor Day September 5, 2022
Fall Break Dismiss: Thursday, October 20, 2022 (Students)
Return: Wednesday, October 26, 2022
Election Day November 8, 2022
Veteran’s Day Observed November 11, 2022
Thanksgiving Dismiss: Friday, November 18, 2022
Return: Monday, November 28, 2022
Christmas Dismiss: Tuesday, December 20, 2022
Return: Wednesday, January 4, 2023
Dr. Martin Luther King Day January 16, 2023
President’s Day/Winter Break Dismiss: Thursday, February 16, 2023
Return: Wednesday, February 22, 2023
Spring Break Dismiss: Friday, March 17, 2023
Return: Monday, March 27, 2023
Easter Break Dismiss: Thursday, April 6, 2023
Return: Tuesday, April 11, 2023
End of Grading Periods:
October 13, 2022
December 20, 2022
March 7, 2023
May 22, 2023
Note: 392 Instructional minutes per day
Mandatory in-services for non-certified employees will include three (3) days as assigned by respective supervisors for the 2022-2023 school year
MILLAGE RATES SET
A total School Board millage rate of 26.87 mils was also adopted for the 2022-23 fiscal year by board members Dennis Clary, Gloria Davis, Calvin Waggoner, Rickey McBride, Gerry Mims and Mary Saulters. Wade McBride was absent. A millage rate is the tax rate used to calculate local property taxes. The millage rate represents the amount per every $1,000 of a property’s assessed value. Assigned millage rates are applied to the total taxable value of the property in order to arrive at the property tax amount.
A breakdown of the assessed rates are as follows:
5.09 mils – Constitutional Tax
8.42 mils – Parishwide Addtional Support
7.78 mils – Parishwide Maintenance & Operation Tax
5.58 mils – Additional Parishwide Maintenance & Operation Tax
In additional action the board agreed to continue their relationship with the law firm Hammonds, Sills, Adkins, Guice, Noah & Perkins, LLP (formerly Hammonds & Sills) as special counsel and adopted the recommendations made by the Executive / Finance and Building/Grounds Committees as follows
(1) Pay General Fund, Federal Program, Food Service, Sales Tax, Special Education and District Maintenance bills.
(2) Pay The Charlie Edwards Company, LLC the amount of $25,027.00 for twelve (12) months MTM unlimited data, to be paid from Parish Wide District funds.
(3) Pay to Career Compass of Louisiana the amount of $16,500.00 for the renewal of college and career coaching at Jonesboro Hodge High School, Quitman High School, Weston High School, to be paid as follows: $15,000.00 from ESSERS Incentive III, $1,500.00 from 2022-2023 Career and Technical Funds.
(4) Pay to Renaissance the amount of $27,850.00 for the renewal of Accelerated Reader and Star Reading at all schools, to be paid from General Fund.
(5) Pay to Edgenuity (Imagine Learning) the amount of $51,630.00 for Digital Libraries Site Licenses at Jonesboro Hodge High School, Jonesboro Hodge Middle School, Quitman High School and Weston High School, to be paid from General Fund.
(6) Approve Salary Schedule for Central Office Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent, effective August 1, 2022.
(7) Approve revised Administrators Compensation Schedule, effective August 1, 2022.
(8) Approving the hiring of two (2) Paraprofessionals to be used parish wide on a year to year basis, to be paid from IDEA funds.
(9) Declare as surplus two (2) steamers, one (1) kettle and one (1) warmer that were removed from the cafeterias. These items are to be auctioned, recycled or sold.
(10) Accept low quote of $30,200.00 from Southern Roofing & Vinyl Siding, LLC for material and labor to brace/repair roof at Quitman High School Ag Building, to be paid from Quitman District funds/ESSERS II.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE